UI performance and large data set in Table Object

mfstuart mfstuart at cox.net
Thu Feb 21 14:04:48 EST 2008

Hi All,

I have a question about large data sets (thousands of lines) in a table
object and the slowing down of the UI performance, especially on resizing
the stack.

My application interfaces to an MS SQL 2000 database via ODBC. No problem
there.
The SQL table I have has over half a million records in it, and this grows
all the time.

Potentially, the user could return all records, which would take a while to
load them all.
But I've created the interface to allow the user to return a smaller record
set. This can be alot of records - 10, 30, 40, 50000 thousand or more, or
just a few hundred. It depends on how the user searches the database.

Now when large record sets are returned from a search, the UI (user
interface) slows down, especially when resizing the stack to see more
records in the table object. When resizing with no records, the UI is
performs normally with fast resizing.

Q: has any one seen this before? And if so, how do you handle the drop in UI
performance?

Thanx,
Mark Stuart