Anyone interested in learning more about Rev on Rockets?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Feb 21 06:01:27 EST 2008

Part II

So, the other really cool part of ROR (Rev On Rockets) is it comes with it's
own webserver, which runs locally, and is ENTIRELY REV BASED. So, you can
edit and debug your RevCGI right in Rev without even being connected to the
Internet. This is an extreme ease-of-use workflow addition to the labored
process of write code, upload, test in browser, then try and figure out why
it didn't work-- which is the most DIFFICULT part of RevCGI. Andre's
webserver has some very advanced debugging features as well, so it's much
easier to 'get it right.'

To say it another way, Andre's really done quite well in integrating all of
this, and those of you who know him, know he writes really good code.

And, with a few modifications to MagicCarpet, I've been able to streamline
workflow outside of Andre's local webserver.

One of the issues with ROR, is it's not documented well-- and is a bit hard
to pickup without a bit of handholding. In fact, I've spent hours on the
phone and screensharing with Andre just to get caught up on all the neat
stuff his libraries do. We've created several examples together, and after
our sessions, I end up more and more impressed with ROR.

So, I thought if others were interested, I'd create a tutorial series to
help developers learn how to use ROR and RevCGI. There are of course some
very good RevCGI beginner tutorials, but I'm hoping these would go farther,
and show a bit more advanced techniques...like putting file locking on a
stack so that 2 people don't try to write to it at once. Or, uploading
images and files via HTTP and not FTP using POST.

So, if you're interested, holler at me or Andre, or just respond here. If
there are enough folks, we'll create a few free ROR tutes. Just let us know!

-Chipp