How fast is this!

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Feb 19 14:00:19 EST 2008

I did some testing late last year, and the basic's are very simple:

The scary part is the javascript, which is only as huge because it
needs to care for two versions of internet explorer in addition to all
the rest:

<script type="text/javascript">
function ajaxFunction()
   {
   var xmlHttp;
   try
     {
     // Firefox, Opera 8.0+, Safari
     xmlHttp=new XMLHttpRequest();
     }
   catch (e)
     {
     // Internet Explorer
     try
       {
       xmlHttp=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP");
       }
     catch (e)
       {
       try
         {
         xmlHttp=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
         }
       catch (e)
         {
         alert("Your browser does not support AJAX!");
         return false;
         }
       }
     }
     xmlHttp.onreadystatechange=function()
       {
       if(xmlHttp.readyState==4)
         {
         document.myForm.time.value=xmlHttp.responseText;
         }
       }
     xmlHttp.open("GET","/cgi-bin/time.cgi",true);
     xmlHttp.send(null);
   }
</script>

<form name="myForm">
Name: <input type="text"
onkeyup="ajaxFunction();" name="username" />
Time: <input type="text" name="time" />
</form>

This will enter the data gotten from "time.cgi" into the second input
field, whenever you type in to the first field. The cgi now only needs
to be this:

#!rev

on startup
   put the short system date into temp
   put "Content-Type: text/plain" & cr
   put "Content-Length:" && the length of temp & cr & cr
   put temp
end startup

That's it!

I learned most of my web stuff from w3schools.com, it's a very good,
and newbie friendly ressource.

have fun
Björnke

PS: AJAX means Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, but i used totally
extreme plain text, so this is more like AJAP ;-)

PPS: if time.cgi where time.php (or, rev isn't always less lines):

<?php
echo Date("G:i:s");
?>