Property Profile Problems

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Tue Feb 19 08:56:41 EST 2008

Hi Lars,

Le 19 févr. 08 à 14:35, Lars Brehmer a écrit :

> Does anyone out there make wxtensive use of Property Profiles,
> because I need a little help.
>
> First problem; how do I prevent property profiles from creating
> themselves? For example - I have about 200 objects, mostly buttons,
> with 2 profiles - "Master and Other". The two profiles are either
> icon (one for each profile) or visible (true or false). If I have
> the stackFile in "Other" and add a new object/ layer, a layer
> property is added to all two profile objects in front of it. The
> answer of course to only add objects when in the Master Profile,
> but sometimes I forget. Not that this doesn't make sense - it
> certainly does, but I would still like to know if there is any way
> to avoid this if I happen to forget which profile I am in and make
> some changes. It may not seem too important, but in this case it
> is, because of all the scripts in this project the only one that
> isn't virtually instaneous is switching profiles, which takes about
> 1/3 of a second. But at one point it started taking almost a
> second, at which point I discovered the hundreds of extra layer
> properties. One all were deleted and corrected, the switch was back
> to 1/3 of a second. Right now I am busy correcting this once again,
> and I was wondering if it is at all possible to avoid. I kind of
> doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?
>
> The second is more difficult. I have some homemade ask and answer
> dialogs that involve a group moving into and back out of place,
> imitating a sheet. This by the way was a great suggestion to
> replace visual effects (sorry, I forgot who suggested this to me)
> but it is causing one problem. If for example I slide an answer
> dialog into place while in "Master" and then switch the profile to
> "Other" before answering (which slides the dialog group back out) a
> rect property is created fo all the objects in the group, and when
> I switch back to "Master" all the rects of the objects are wrong,
> because the group moves while in the "Other" profile. Is the only
> way around this to prevent the profile switch while an ask or
> answer dialog is visible and in place? I hope someone can suggest a
> way around this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lars

I have played a lot with profiles but I ended by giving up.
I am inclined to consider this feature, anyway reliable in itself, as
too difficult to use for all reasons you suggest.
I have put it in the same drawer as the Geometry Manager and I prefer
to code all this by myself.

Anyway, you could make you job easier by using my "Objects Picker'
plugin: an option allows to set all card objects to a profile or
another in one click.
In addition, you probably should check that the 'Create profiles
automatically' in 'Property Profiles' pane of Prefs is not checked.

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.