RevCGI Hosts?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 18 22:07:27 EST 2008

Chipp Walters wrote:
> And some other questions...do I rename revolution.x86 to
> revolution.cgi?

You can rename it to anything -- or not rename it at all -- but I'd
avoid any extensions. The main thing is that the top line of your script
exactly matches the name of the engine in the cgi folder. Since
"revolution.x86" is pretty long to type, I usually rename it "rev" and
leave it at that. Then all my scripts start with "#!rev".

> And if I try Jacque's helloworld script:
>
>  #!revolution
>
>  on startup
>  put "Content-Type: text/plain" & cr & cr
>  put "Hello World!"
>  end startup
>
> and I name it "hello.cgi" how does it know to run with the
> revolution.cgi? So may questions...

If your engine is named "revolution.cgi" and the top of your script
calls "revolution", the Rev engine won't be found. The server knows what
app to run by reading the top line of the script and looking for a file
with the same name in the CGI folder.

Also, don't forget permissions. Your sever error log will tell you if
that's a problem. You can access and read your server logs at JaguarPC
from within your control panel.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com