Rev CGI, MySQL & Japanese text

Nicolas Cueto niconiko at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 21:14:35 EST 2008

Going even further out on a limb than I usually do ...

Finally got a rev.cgi script that can connect and
query a MySQL database (both on a web-server):

#!revolution
on startup
-- This is an edited example.
put revOpenDatabase(...) into connectionID
put "SELECT * FROM `tableNihongo`" into sql
put revDataFromQuery(,,connectionID,sql) into vResults
put vResults & return after buffer
put "Content-Type: text/plain" & return
put "Content-Length:" && the length of buffer & return & return
put buffer
end startup

Problem is, when I use my HTML browser to call that rev.cgi script,
the table's English elements are readable but not the Japanese.

Browsing that table in phpMyAdmin, though, those Japanese elements
get correctly displayed.

I'm guessing this is an encoding issue, since the garbled
Japanese appears as two question marks for each character.
And so, I've been *blindly* trying different combinations of
character sets in the table collations (sjis_japanese_ci &
utf8_unicode_ci), adding a charset for the script above (shift_jist
& utf-8), and Rev's uniEncode/uniDecode commands.

An obscure question, but...

Thank you for your attention.

--
Nicolas Cueto