removing ask/answer/msg substacks from old mc stacks

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Feb 17 21:36:50 EST 2008

Jeff Reynolds wrote:
> I'm sorry i have done this in the past, but have forgotten how to do it.
>
> I have some old mc stacks from like 8 years ago that have the ask and
> answer dialog substacks in them. i removed them in rev 2.6.1, but now i
> keep getting a message box error (message box is already open in rev)
> when i open the stack in rev 2.8.1. so it seems that there is still a
> message box substack hiding in my stack, but it doesnt show up in
> application browser with my stack.

The easiest way to get rid of those is to open the stack in the MC IDE
and use its resource mover to delete the stacks. You can download the MC
IDE from Yahoo groups here:

If you aren't a member of the group, you'll have to join. Once you are
in the Files section, also download the metacard_setup10.mc.zip stack
(it's the last one in the Files listing.) This utility automatically
sets up the MC IDE to work with the current Rev engine and installs
everything you need with one click. Open this utility stack from inside
Revolution. (Actually, this little utility can auto-download the MC IDE
for you, so really all you need is a copy of the setup stack.)

If you don't want to go the MC route, then you can set Rev's preferences
to show rev stacks in lists and look for the duplicate stacks in the App
Brower. I don't know if they will show up but it is worth a try. I think
they should.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to find them manually. Start issuing
commands like this in the message box:

   put there is a stack "answer dialog" of stack "myStack"

If the result is true, then be careful how you delete it; make sure you
provide a full reference to the stack so that you don't accidentally
delete Revolution's copy instead of your own:

   delete stack "answer dialog" of stack "myStack"

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com