AW: Flash or Quicktime?

Colin Holgate coiin at rcn.com
Sat Feb 16 09:42:51 EST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008, at 8:20 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:

> I am still a little bit puzzled with the technical background of H264.
> The QT7 player should support H264, but do I need a separate H264
> codec
> installer to encode?

To export out of QuickTime Player at all you would need to have paid
for QuickTime Pro, or be using a program that had a QuickTime export
option (iMovie for example). H264 became an option when QuickTime 7
came out, you wouldn't have to install anything extra to get it to work.

Your Sorenson Squeeze may have been an earlier version, or it may be
because H264 is competition to the Sorenson codecs and it's not
featured because of that. I have version 4.5 on my machine, and it
does do H264.

The batch program someone mentioned was called Compression Master.
It's an alternative to Sorenson Squeeze, and is able to export to
Flash 8 video (that's the On2VP6 one, if you have paid for the extra
Flash module), WMV, any QuickTime format, and others. It had a name
change a while ago and is now known as Episode. It's not cheap though.
If you just want to batch compress to WMV there are cheaper options.