AW: Flash or Quicktime?

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 19:58:41 EST 2008

If you want to stick to a 'movie' format: You could package up the
Theora codecs with your installer (for each OS) but you'd have to
re-encode them for Theora (there's plenty of free apps that will do
this). Theora may be 'new/beta'ish' but has been in solid use in some
large projects for a couple of years.

This will then get QT or WMP and the default Linux player to play the
movies, and you'd still have Rev control over them (via QT and WMP in
their respective 'native' platforms).

I'm concerned with QT installs on Windows, principally due to Windows
Updates breaking QT, which then needs to be patched up with its own updates.

Flip4Mac is a possible alternative install for OS X, but I've found
performance drops severely with two or more simultaneous wmv files
playing, something I don't notice with QT on OS X, even with ten mov
files on the go.

Cheers,

Luis.