Flash or Quicktime?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Feb 15 18:00:51 EST 2008

Colin Holgate wrote:
 > At 2:08 PM -0800 2/15/08, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>But I don't believe there's a one-size-fits-all solution to video
 >>playback at this time.
 >
 > I can agree with this, but would argue to have QuickTime and WMV
 > versions, and not require Mac users to have to adapt to WMV.

Good for many apps, but in our case the CD is currently loaded with
700MB of movies and data.  Replicating the content into two different
formats isn't an option, and maintaining two sets of platform-specific
CDs would raise our inventory management costs.

 > The Flash option does have the advantage of being cross platform,
 > but it sounds like in Revolution it would be a browser element hack.
 > Making Flash be native would be a good idea, then you can play Flash
 > video on all machines, even the ones that don't have QuickTime, WMV,
 > or Flash installed.

Or take it one step further:  can we simply have one non-proprietary
format that can run everywhere?

What was the Motion Picture Group supposed to be working on?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal