Shakobox/PlayCommand Open Source

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Feb 15 16:00:32 EST 2008

Some of you may know that my site has been the distribution point for
the Shakobox PlayCommand Agent, written by Jonathan Bettencourt some
years ago. This software allows Revolution to emulate the HyperCard
"play" command on both Windows and Mac. HyperCard's "play" command is
able to use scripted musical notation to play back songs on the fly. The
PlayCommand Agent uses QuickTime to simulate what HyperCard could do
natively.

Recently it was reported that the PlayCommand Agent does not work when
more than 256 notes were scripted. Jon is no longer supporting the
software, but given the recent problem, he has released the code as open
source.

The info he posted to the HyperCard mailing list is below, and includes
a link to the source code. I think it would be wonderful if someone
would turn this into a Revolution external. I know that many people use
PlayCommand Agent and would appreciate a more consolidated solution than
the current one, which requires external files on disk and a few extra
steps to get it working.

If anyone would like to take a stab at this, please let me know. I'd be
happy to continue distributing updates; I think it would be a good idea
to keep any new versions in a central location. Also, it has always been
a free offering and we would like to keep it that way.

Jacque