Cgi and Database (stick to standards)

Hershel Fisch hershf at rgllc.us
Thu Feb 14 17:14:02 EST 2008

On 2/10/08 5:19 PM, "Sivakatirswami" <katir at hindu.org> wrote:

> Bernard Devlin wrote:
>> I'm not sure what kind of database requirements you have.
SQL  rdbms, and I was thinking to use "sqLITE" because its fast even with
big bases and most hosting sites use mySql which slows down as the database
grows. I wanted to use PostgreSQL but I don¹t find any body with it for a
decent price

>> Bernard

And with shell I'm very unfamiliar
> Have fun...
>
> and a bit of history:
>
> FWIW: There were discussions a year or two ago about how robust this
> solution could be without a "persistent Revolution process" someone
> replied that he had been using Rev CGI where a new instance was called
> each time. he said it scaled up to the millions of hits. No problems.
>
> Meanwhile other CGI's are doing more robust stuff like processing Credit
> card transactions and handling form submissions.... no problem... Now I
> can't vouch for more than 30-50 instances a second... what would happen,
> but we are in that range right now, Apache and the CPUs hardly blink...
> and see no slow down whatsoever. I'm no expert but I think a persistent
> Rev process will "die" on the first hard script error... so there are
> advantages to just letting Apache load rev on every single call...watch
> out for zombies ... if you don't close the cgi properly you can get hung

What do you mean by closing and how do you do it?

> Rev CGI processes, but, because these are separate instances of Rev...
> they don't terminate your web site... just slow it down as each zombie
> starts eating the CPU speeds..

Thanks, Hershel