Inter-Application Communication on Windows

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Feb 13 12:14:23 EST 2008

Hi,

This looks like it's the way to get/put data from/to applications, but:

> However, on the Mac I have a handler for the "appleEvent" message,
> this gets called asynchronously whenever the other application send
> an AppleEvent. Can I achieve the same or similar under Windows?
> e.g. AppA gets a Message sent to it when there is a message ready
> to be read or some such? The only other way I can think of
> achieving this would be for the main application to periodically
> execute a "poll" handler which calls the External Command and read
> the message(s) from a queue?

Given two applications, AppA and AppB. AppB needs to send a message
to AppA so it executes a "write to process' command. How does AppA
know that a message has been sent? On the Mac, the "appleEvent" will
be sent to AppA, but on Windows, AppA would have to be executing a
"read from process" command to be able to get the data. Also if I
have a number of Applications (AppC, AppD, AppE) that want to
communicate with AppA then I'd have to be executing 4 "read from
process" command simultaneously, how could this be implemented?

Thanks a lot
All the Best
Dave