filling a db on CD, what happens?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Feb 9 01:33:04 EST 2008

On 9/2/08 6:04 AM, "Kay C Lan" <lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Kay,

> On Feb 7, 2008 2:02 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:
>

>> In general case Databases (w.g. SqlLite or Valentina) will not allow you
>> do
>> this on CD. You will get exception/error on the first attempt to do
>> INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE  ... CREATE/ALTER TABLE
>>

> But what about a case where ALL you want to do is SELECT.

Then no problems, and hundreds, usually Director Valentina developers, do
this. They develop CD/DVD based projects -- for education, presentations,
catalogs, games, ...

---------
> Lets say you have a 'Tour of the Museum of Fine Art', a DB with a couple of
> entries for title,artist,year,description,style,image (image being a high
> resolution .jpg). Because of the images the whole lot comes to a couple of
> GBs so you put it on a DVD. The intention is only to 'view'. Is it possible
> to save the User the need to clog their HD by leaving the DB on DVD.

Yes of course possible, why not? :-)

Only difference here is that APPLICATION will work with TWO or MORE dbs:
first db (read only) on DVD, second on the HDD.

Also we have meet even more complex ideas, when play a third db which is
online under Valentina Server.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin