Paying side-project for someone: Safari/Firefox bookmark/homepage app

rgould8 at aol.com rgould8 at aol.com
Thu Feb 7 11:46:59 EST 2008

I have a need to hire someone for a fairly short-term project.? It's for a client who needs to an app to:

1)? alter the user's homepage URL in their browser, and
2)? add 1 bookmark to their browser.? (It's for an ISP)

Specs:

This only needs to work on a Mac, in Tiger and Leopard.

Browsers:? Safari 2, Safari 3, and maybe Firefox if possible.

It needs to be a standalone executable.? Doesn't matter to me what it is written in.? It
does need to be something that can be double-clicked from the desktop.

After speaking with some engineers, the thinking is that this could all be done using
Apple's sync-services in Cocoa.? (Using Apple's method of allowing apps to update browser booksmarks
during the syncing process).? That way the browser doesn't have to quit or require authentification.

I'm sure a Rev app could be written as well, but to edit the browser's pref files for bookmarks, the
browser would have to quit first.? I'd like to avoid that if possible.

My understanding is that this cannot be done within a web-page itself due to security-reasons.? If
this assumption is not true, please let me know.

Please email me off the list if you know how to pull this off, and what you'd charge for such a task.

My off-list email is:? GouldIMG at mac.com