AW: AW: filling a db on CD, what happens?

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Feb 6 14:12:22 EST 2008

Tiemo,

I've been using both RDBMS and flat files. A quick opinion is that
with SQL you don't need to reinvent the wheel and this is specially
good when you're going to do cross references and searching. SQL
stands for Simple Query Language, it's really easy to make queries
with SQL.

With flat files, you need to roll your own search routines and this
can be a huge bottleneck on your code. If you go brute force looking
every single record in your thousand+ database, you're sure that will
take a while. If you decide to optimize your searches and build your
own indexing and searching, then you'll spend a lot of time in there.

So, for my projects, I settle like this: if there's heavy searching go
with SQL, if it's just data storage and retrieval, then stack files
will do.

I must say, I am in love with stack files, they are so flexible!

Cheers
andre