[OT] Instructional design and the demise of AppleGuide

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Tue Feb 5 16:28:51 EST 2008

Well along with that thread --

[observations of HELP in the IDE]

there now seems to be some aspects of the "HELP" menu in OSX that are
there whether we want it or not.  Like the 'Search' Menu that appears
there  while in any application using Leopard.

When I type some common terms in that search menu like "Edit" or
"Help", I get a few 'hits' but they don't relate to anything I have
been using recently -- just help pages from the long-gone but
sometimes still useful "Audion".

Nicely formatted pages and they come up quickly. What is that? It's
not the 'help viewer' - it's built-in. Fast, too. How do we tap into
that?

[postscript after trying search in an standalone]

Wow! Cool Leopard feature. If you type a single char in the
help:search box, it reveals a list of menu items that begin with that
character, then actually POINTS THEM OUT with the revealed menu and a
big blue arrow. This would be a great boon to applications that have
a lot of menu items. This is might be a good reason to include the
HELP menu in all MacOS apps even though the app may not have any
local help items.

sqb

--

stephen barncard