Date stamp a stack

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Dec 30 00:59:03 EST 2008

Bill,

> It is for licensing. I was thinking that this would be a good method for a
> limited time trial of my software. The document stack  would contain the
> user's data and the program would check the creation  date of the data
> stack for the trail period. Once the user paid for  the software it would
> no longer care what the creation date was.

RevSelect recently released Zygodact, which does this exact thing:

http://www.runrev.com/products/related-software/zygodact/

...and it's part of the holiday megabundle, too:

http://www.runrev.com/offers/megabundle08/index.htm

So you could get it "free" along with hundreds (to thousands) of dollars of
other great add-ons and your Rev software assurance (updates) for a year.
[Not to mention supporting Jacqui and the other great contributors to this
list who are part of revSelect.]

Now that I know what you're doing -- if you really want to do this on your
own instead of using a nice, tidy, complete, professionally produced,
well-documented and well-tested package like Zygodact -- other thoughts
comes to mind:

- storing the information in the registry (on Windows) or some analogous
hidden spot on Mac. Again, using encryption and/or an md5 checksum to record
the value.

- doing what Rev does and using a "trial" key which has the expiration date
encoded within it. Users can't run the software without such a key; and they
can't cook up a new key on their own.

- having some sort of online activation where the trial app "phones home" to
your server, which has information unique to the installed system/user and
expiration date.

Good luck,

- Bill

[sorry for the near-duplicate; hit ctrl-enter prematurely by mistake]