Date stamp a stack

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Mon Dec 29 06:02:04 EST 2008

Hi Bill,

> Is there some other way of storing the date stamp on a stack?

A few thoughts come to mind:

- I wonder why you're using a stack as a data file? If it's unavoidable,
perhaps you could compress it and (if you have Enterprise) encrypt it on
disk, expanding and decrypting it when you read it into memory.

- put the date stamp as a custom property like you originally thought, but
as above, encrypting the info or at least obfuscating it. (At least
properties aren't as easily discoverable as other aspects of a stack.)

- password-protect the stack to prohibit people from peeking into spots
(like scripts) where you'll store the date stamp

- put the date (obscured) and the md5Digest of it as a checksum. If someone
tries to modify the date, you can pop up an alert.

- I would not in any situation rely on the detailed files, as various
activities can cause the creation and modification dates to be altered.

Hope this gives you some ideas,

Bill