Date stamp a stack

Mark Smith lists at futilism.com
Mon Dec 29 18:24:13 EST 2008

Bill, I'm sure that anyone really determined to break such a scheme
will be able to do so, but a couple of ideas for making it a bit
harder occur to me:

1. Use some basic indirection - store the expiry date in one place,
and an md5 of it in another. If the expiry date gets changed, it will
no longer match the md5, and you'll know it's been changed.

2. Obscure the date. Generate a large random number and insert the
numerals that make up the date in a particular order and in
particular character positions within the random number.

3. Store the date as a custom property of a hidden control.

4. Encrypt the date with a key that you store on your server (so your
app has to grab it each time it checks the date, not so good if your
users launch your app while offline).

Best,

Mark