use-revolution Digest, Vol 63, Issue 45

Dale Pond dalesvp at centurytel.net
Mon Dec 29 14:30:39 EST 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 11:00 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> You probably want to eliminate the idle messages and the compact
> stack messages as well.

I don't know what the idle does. Does Rev auto-compact when cards/
data are deleted?

> You may want to stop using stacks entirely. Approximately how many
> stacks are there?

Approximately 229 stacks right now. So it seems logical to control
all the stacks, cards, commands and functions from one location/script.

> Approximately how many cards per stack?

Card count varies a lot. There are approximately 16,000 cards
altogether - give or take a couple or three thousand. Some stacks
have a few cards while others have hundreds.

> How much information in a typical field?

Varies a lot. From a few words to several thousand. Most data cards
have usually six fields. Some have more while some have less. HC/Rev
is so incredibly flexible with data and what makes them winners in my
opinion is the ability to search every word in every card and
manipulate that which is found.

> Why are there separate stacks, instead of one large one?

To keep data grouped in diverse ways. For instance there are 42 cards
each containing spectra from each element. There are 26 cards one for
each letter of the alphabet to catch general stuff. There are many
stacks that each contain the full text of a book. I'm always adding
new books into their own single stack. Keeping data types separate
keeps my options open to change that stack or stack set if and when
needed or to manipulate them as needed - this has occurred before.

> Who uses HyperVibes, for what, why?

I use HV every single day as a data library and reference. These
stacks are my personal data collection and research collected since
1970s and (not quite all) hand typed by myself. These are my research
notes. So you see to be able to search all these cards to find
specific references is important to my work as a researcher and
writer. In the end I do not see any reason to redesign the collection
- way too much data for that now. If the HyperSearch stack can be
made to work like it did in HC I would be quite happy.