OT2: The 'realness' of languages

George C Brackett gbrackett at luceatlux.com
Wed Dec 24 10:22:42 EST 2008

Very good questions, Peter.  It was a short meeting and we weren't
talking about an actual proposal, just a future possibility with even
that a bit hazy as to requirements.  If we ever get down to a solid
project, I shall What struck me most was the apparent dismissal of a
language out of hand.

As for what I would do were I hiring a consultant (as I have done in
the past), the most important thing to me is not the means the
consultant might use, but his/her reputation as a capable
professional, and his/her assurances that my specifications (including
perhaps a measure of maintainability) can be met.  That might be
unprofessional of me, I suppose, but so far it's worked.  It aligns
with an attitude I have about management: hire wisely through
recommendation and prior accomplishment, clearly specify the goals
desired, and keep an eye on the work while avoiding interference as
much as possible.

George