use-revolution Digest, Vol 63, Issue 36

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Mon Dec 22 15:56:02 EST 2008

Ha, had forgotten about the old xtalk list. did it finally fold up
lately? i seem to remember it hanging around for quite a while with a
post here and there. with the exponential email curve i have gotten
more vicious with the delete button so lost records of it a long time
back.

one thing also missing around this is that while hypercard, supercard,
metacard, revolution, toolbook, plus, and many others are all pretty
much dialects of the general umbrella name of xtalk, Revolution is
really the only one left standing and thriving. while there are some
still limping along with hc and supercard and some of the other
variants, they are a dying breed to say the least. Revolution is
pretty much the only system living on doing Xtalk, so at this point it
seem like they do have some bragging rights to name it as they have
been pretty much carrying most of the torch for the last decade with
Metacard and Revolution. Dr. Raney's willingness to be more open with
the development (and naming even) give good testament to why this
linage both survived and deserves the right to be in the drive's seat
some also. I too like to see all credit go to the early developers of
xtalk in general, but corporations and history have pretty much
stopped all the other systems from sticking around, so at some point
it gets a bit pointless to hold on to some names when there is only
one left standing... Adding to this all the additions to the language
that Rev has added with the years as Brian pointed out, all the others
have not been moving the language forward, they are gone.

So while i use xtalk to describe the language in general, revolution
is about the only practical one I can point to at this point doing the
classic xtalk and pushing it onward.

cheers,

jeff

On Dec 22, 2008, at 11:23 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com