[OT] If programming languages were religions...

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon Dec 22 01:07:59 EST 2008

> When someone adds a new function or even library to a version of C,
> do people claim it isnt still C?

No. So then by your logic, should we should call it HyperTalk? Because
that was the name of Hypercard's scripting language, not "xTalk".

> The essence of xtalk is completly independent from lexical additions.

OK, sure - Can you imagine what would happen if we called every
language with C-style syntax "C"? I mean hey, PHP is just interpreted
C with different libraries and funny looking "$" signs, right?

> A better question would be "how many changes would you have to make
> to an xtalk incarnation before you could legitimately clasify it as
> its own language (at the level of C or Lisp)?  This whole discussion
> is in responces to posts that hung revTalk up at the taxonomic level
> with these other legitimately different languages.  I find that
> irresponsible and false.  That is all.

There's nothing irresponsible about it, because you are the only one I
see stirring up some sort of arbitrary taxonomic discussion. This
thread started as a light-hearted discussion of an article comparing
programming languages to religions. Someone dared call Revolution by
its name, and you jumped in on an xTalk rant.

> By the way, and not that it matters... I hate C and java and lisp
> and dont even particularly like smalltalk... Which is my way of
> thanking the true gods of xtalk, allan and bill (and the other bill).

If you want to thank the forefathers of xTalk that's fine... again no
dissent here. But give a little credit to the current generation.
There's been a bit of value added since HyperTalk and that takes work
and smart people too. The whole thing doesn't just fall into place as
"lexical additions" from the sky.

> I dont seek friends... I seek truth.

It seems to me you just seek to be right, and condescending towards
those who disagree. Most of us here enjoy being friends, and it's a
big part of why this list is so helpful. Disagreement is fine but you
might reconsider the need to hijack a thread and start calling out all
of the "Kool-Aid" drinkers in the group.

Bjornke's reply for one was crystal clear. You felt the need to
"honor" it with an insulting reply. No friends and no truth there.