OT: Apple Announces Its Last Year at Macworld

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Thu Dec 18 13:33:54 EST 2008

> Lastly i wonder if Apple is just seeing the writing on the
> walls with travel getting more expensive and harder that
> folks may just not be in the mood much any more to attend
> conferences like these that are mainly trade shows. I loved
> comdex, mac world, NAB, CES but these days its really hard
> for me to think about spending the money and time and effort
> to attend a trade show anymore. nothing like seeing something
> in person, but then again I have not had to really see any
> major hardware purchases for exhibits in person for a long
> time now and the last few trade shows have given me very few
> leads to new items to use.

Well, Im still going this year :-)

I already blogg'd about why this is the natural progression of where Apple
is going (if interested, see below). They've managed to take almost 100%
control or completely eliminate any outside influence or venue on their
profitability and valuation. Having expectations set of product releases by
a third party (expecting Apple to plan their releases around an event) -
even MacWorld Expo - is just another step. I think its pretty clearly
spelled out in the press release. They have "on demand" access to customers
through the Apple Store, so MacWorld doesn't do much for them except for
that influence.

http://www.lynnfredricks.com/2008/12/17/why-apple-said-goodbye-to-macworld-a
nd-why-it-makes-sense/

Best regards,