Table field text formating

-= JB =- sundown at pacifier.com
Wed Dec 17 19:30:08 EST 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 4:13 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> -= JB =- wrote:
>
>> On Dec 17, 2008, at 3:45 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>> It would be far more efficient and robust if Rev simply added
>>> independent column alignment as has been the #1 request for many
>>> years.
>> I agree they should add independent column alignment.  But they
>> should also
>> add a 1 point space for people so they can justify text how they
>> want  it to look.
>> There are many cases where this would be very useful.  It would
>> be  nice to
>> have the choice because both are very important.
>
> It may be easier to get the exact feature you need than to ask
> RunRev to become a type foundry.
>
> If all you need is a one-pixel font, I'm sure there are plenty around.
>
> But perhaps we might ask why this is useful, and look one step
> further to the mechanics of the underlying text rendering in the
> field object to get exactly what we most want.  It may be that such
> additions would become trivial once RunRev adds independent column
> alignment to fields.
>
> Slogging through big blocks of text line by line and/or word by
> word, measuring each and adding/subtracting a number of special one-
> pixel characters can be quite slow, and not the sort of thing I
> enjoy teaching to newcomers for simple text alignment.
>
> So hopefully instead we can just get the appearance we want just as
> we want it at the moment it's rendered.  I doesn't hurt to ask. :)
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World
>  Revolution training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
>  Webzine for Rev developers: http://www.revjournal.com

Well if a 1 pixel character is so common then it would be extremely
easy for
the Rev Team to include it and I would not have to add a font for it.

As for the usefulness it is unlimited.  Text can be positioned where
you want
it not just aligned according to Left-Center-Right-Full.  The one
point space
would allow kerning.  The choice of alignment is important but
kerning it too.
Many people would never see a need for kerning but it needs to be
there for
those who who do want it.

-=>JB<=-