open printing, close printing, for print spool job

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Dec 14 15:06:26 EST 2008

william humphrey wrote:
> Thanks but I'm looking for:
>

>> open printing
>>  repeat with x = 1 to the number of lines of cardsToPrint
>>    fillCardData (line x of cardsToPrint) -- load the fields here
>>    print this card -- which now contains new data
>>  end repeat
>
> close printing
>
>> And to have the printed cards all spool before printing. If you print to a
>> PDF then it would be a multiple page PDF. In the docs this should work but
>> for me only the last page is printing unless I do this:
>

>  open printing
>
>>  repeat with x = 1 to the number of lines of cardsToPrint
>>    fillCardData (line x of cardsToPrint) -- load the fields here
>>    print this card -- which now contains new data
>
> close printing
>
>>  end repeat
>

> But then each card prints individually... not what I wanted.

The example I gave will spool all the data first, I just left off the
"open" and "close" printing commands (I assumed you'd keep those in
place.) So yes, you need this:

open printing with dialog
if the result = "cancel" then exit <handler>
repeat with x = 1 to the number of lines of cardsToPrint
  fillCardData (line x of cardsToPrint) -- load the fields here
  print this card -- which now contains new data
end repeat
close printing -- sends it all to printer

You will need to supply the correct info for "fillCardData", either a
handler with that name, or some code that replaces that line which will
read the database and fill the field contents in each iteration of the loop.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com