open printing, close printing, for print spool job

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Dec 14 13:34:54 EST 2008

william humphrey wrote:
> I'm sending data from a database to one card (filling out fields in that
> card) then printing the card then sending new data etc. It is very similar
> to printing a whole bunch of cards except that the information in the fields
> on one card is just changed. I don't see why it would make any difference in
> the print spooling command but I guess I need to make some test stacks and
> start experimenting.

I don't see in your original handler where you are filling the fields
with data. The repeat loop is written as though it should print
different cards, rather than loading one card repeatedly from different
records in a database. Change it to something like this:

   repeat with x = 1 to the number of lines of cardsToPrint
     fillCardData (line x of cardsToPrint) -- load the fields here
     print this card -- which now contains new data
   end repeat

I do this all the time and it works fine. I'm not sure "line x of
cardsToPrint" is the right parameter for what you are doing, but the
idea is to grab the right data from your database, fill the fields, then
print the card. Each iteration of the loop repeats this process. The
same card is printed repeatedly, but in each instance it contains
different field data.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com