Rev printing woes in Leopard

Peter Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 11:45:28 EST 2008

OK, so I had this iBook G4 (running Panther) that died, but managed to
get all my data over to my new MacBook Intel running OSX 10.5. I have
a stack system I use for my practice, which prints various items using
"print card into rect" from hidden stacks that are filled by script.
Very handy, very spiffy. I can print out beautifully formatted
prescriptions, notes, addressed envelopes, copay receipts, forms, etc.
Now suddenly on my new machine, it takes forever for the printer to
respond -- up to 1 full minute for Rev to complete sending data to the
printer (as shown in the printer status window), and up to another
full minute after the data is sent for the printer to start churning
out a page.

This is almost a show-stopper for me, since I sometimes have to print
out 4-5 prescriptions and a receipt while the patient is in my office.
I'm using a Brother MFC-8220 laserjet, and have had zero problems with
this printer in several years up to now. When I print from other apps
there is a delay also compared to my old setup, but it's only about 20
seconds. I'm using the latest Brother printer driver. I have contacted
Brother for advice, but the problem is worst with Rev, and that's
where I need reasonable speed the most.

Since I use a laptop, I use about 5 different printers during various
parts of my week. My stack system stores the user-chosen
printersettings in a custom prop and sets the printersettings to this
just before printing. I have re-stored the printer settings for the
Brother printer after downloading the latest driver, figuring maybe
Rev was sending the old 10.4 driver settings to the OS, but this
doesn't help. Printing from my stack to another printer (an HP AIO at
home) is a little slow but nothing like with the Brother machine. And
printing from my stack to a cheap little HP inkjet printer at another
venue results in the paper shuttling back and forth in the printer
feeder and then successfully printing most of the page but stopping
about 0.2 inches before the bottom of the page content and leaving the
paper in the printer, half sticking out. (Which is really weird.)

I don't really care about the HP inkjet problem, it's printing on the
Brother I have to fix, since my private practice where I use my stack
system has the Brother machine. But the strange behavior of the inkjet
in addition to the Brother points more to some wrinkle in Rev printing
or my stack printing setup that I'm missing. Any ideas? I need to get
this working again, and I'm getting more and more desperate.

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com