[TT] Beavering Away . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 03:26:57 EST 2008

[TT] - Totally Tangential.

Ha, Ha, Ha . . .

When I was studying at SIU Carbondale I rushed into a teaching assistants'
meeting fresh from vacuuming the carpet at home and said:

"Sorry I'm late, I have just been hoovering . . ."

There was a deathly silence in the room!

My understanding supervisor (A Canadian) took me outside and told me
that 'hoovering' did not mean vacuum-cleaning in America.

Late, I was working in the married students' garden plots when a pleasant
woman from Wyoming asked me how I managed to break up the clods of earth
so effectively. My reply; "I always use a hoe." was received in silence, and then she walked off, never to speak to me again.

In Britain, 'beavering away' means (or, maybe, meant, when I was at school) "working away extremely eagerly"; no doubt connected with "eager beaver" - which, no doubt, you North Americans will resemanticise as a
synonym for "loose woman".

Divided by a common language we may be; united by a love of programming in Runtime Revolution I hope we all are.

Welcome to the silly season !!!

Love, Richmond.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.