Looking for ugly code comparisons WAS: Slashdotter looking for kids' programming language

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Dec 12 15:46:40 EST 2008

>> Maybe we need a synonym for "the ... of me" - how about something like "my"?
>>
>> put my text into xx
>> set my hilite to true

Actually, SenseTalk (the xTalk that drives the Eggplant testing suite)
provides support for "my" as well as having extended xTalk to include
possessives, so you can say:

  set button 1's hilite to true

but it goes farther in defining custom "simple objects" on the fly that can
have properties or other objects nested within them; this is where
possessives make more sense:

  put (name: "Michael") into mike    -- create the "mike" object
  put a new object into property cat of mike  -- create a nested object
  set the name of mike's cat to "Fido"
  put mike's cat's name   -- puts "Fido"

As a side note, these "simple objects" are not "physical" objects like
buttons and fields, but more like Director's or AppleScript's property
lists; kind of like associative arrays, but can be addressed with
property-like statements.

It would be like doing this in a *fictitious* version of Rev that supported
this:

  put "Fido" into cat["name"]
  put cat into mike["cat"]
  put the name of the cat of mike

Anyway, just something to think about... SenseTalk has a lot of neat xTalk
features I'd love to see in Rev (date math, lists and property lists,
multiple chunks, methods of handling undelivered messages, etc.), but just
thought I'd mention possessives vs. "my"...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/