MouseMove . . . err?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Dec 12 12:38:27 EST 2008

Richmond Mathewson wrote:
> Just knocked together a silly little stack with 4 buttons called
> "X1", "X2", "X3" and "X4". Now I want them to chase my cursor in
> a quad shape, and to do that I popped this script into my card:
>
> on mouseMove
>   set the moveSpeed to 10000
>   put item 1 of the mouseLoc into MISHKA1
>    put item 2 of the mouseLoc into MISHKA2
>    move btn "X1" to (MISHKA1 + 40), (MISHKA2 + 40)
>    move btn "X2" to (MISHKA1 - 40), (MISHKA2 + 40)
>    move btn "X3" to (MISHKA1 + 40), (MISHKA2 - 40)
>    move btn "X4" to (MISHKA1 - 40), (MISHKA2 - 40)
> end mouseMove
>
> [ find "MISHKA.rev" at revOnline, under 'Richmond' ]
>
> but the buttons behave a bit oddly (cannot describe it, has to
> be seen to be understood).

I didn't actually look at it, but from the description I'd say that each
mouseMove message (which is sent many, many times per second) is
triggering a new set of "move" commands, which will interfere with the
move commands already executing. I wouldn't use a movemove handler to
trigger this behavior. MouseEnter or something else that is sent only
once would be a better choice.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com