Leopard button problem

Peter Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 15:59:45 EST 2008

I just had a fatal motherboard crash on my old G4 iBook and switched
in a hurry to a MacBook running Leopard (luckily didn't lose any
data). I was using Panther on the G4, and I'm encountering the
vicissitudes of Leopard. I've run into a problem. The archives show
that this cropped up with Leopard when it first came out:

> From: Ken Ray <kray at ...>
> Subject: Re: Revolution Not Playing with Leopard
> Newsgroups: gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user
> Date: 2007-10-28 06:26:41 GMT (1 year, 6 weeks, 2 days, 8 hours and
> 21 minutes ago)
>
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 19:59:06 -0700, Michael Robinson wrote:
>
>>  I also jest installed leopard and all me buttons look like a windows
>>  program square and flat!.
>
> This is one of the gotcha's so far in Leopard (I don't know if RunRev
> can fix this), but if the button style you are using is "standard",
> but
> the height of the button is more than 24 pixels, the style remains
> internally as "standard", but it draws like a "rectangle" button.

I have some buttons that should look like standard (rounded ends)
buttons that are now appearing as rectangle buttons. Is there a
workaround for this??? It sort of destroys the coherence of my GUI --
I use a standard button for standard things like "find", changing
backgrounds, etc, and a square button when clicking it will result in
a group of controls dropping down for custom functions. Now the visual
distinction between the two types is lost.

Something to do with the Appearance Manager? How do I fix this?

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com