OT: Creating a PC Compatible DVD...

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Wed Dec 3 13:23:05 EST 2008

Buy a drive that records DVD+R if you must. But this is totally
moot. Yours is not a PC/MAC issue, but a choice of blank disc formats
and/or video formatting. Both disc types will play on any platform.
Why not just buy quality DVD-R blanks that the mac optical drive is
designed for. The +/- is usually only a factor on the record side.
Also the + discs seem to be losing market share.

The FORMAT of the DATA is the other factor. Usually burning programs
make a PC/MAC compatible video or data disc.  Making a video disc
that plays everywhere is handled by video burning software like DVD
studio pro or iDVD, even Toast.

Also not all players are alike. Use software that targets your output
needs. Often there are shareware or open source solutions like VLC
that play anything.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

--

stephen barncard