When they ask, what is this written in?

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Mon Dec 1 14:08:29 EST 2008

Mark Brownell wrote:
> I agree that it's bad practice to draw attention to what you use in a defensive way or in criticizing other well known methods. I also see the logic in not using name overloading when describing RR, Rev, and Revolution as being a trinity of modern symbolism. I always ask, "what would you like it written in?"
>
> How about "Runtime Revolution" the company, "RevEngine" the IDE, and "Rv+" the language?
>
> You can say what ever you want to even if they don't in Scotland. You could just say "that's what we say in the community."

"The community"... the fact that there IS a community is key. I think
one of the most pressing concerns among business folks who pay the bill
for us to develop their apps in Rev is one of continuity. As a client of
mine said last week:
> Suppose you decided to chuck it all and join a country band in
> Nashville, never to return to your former life and donating all
> material possessions to your daughter.  What would I do?  We are
> standing naked here (an ugly thought at best).

Since there is a Rev developer community, project continuity is
achievable even if some developers disappear. I was able to talk my
client down from the ledge (metaphorically) on that basis.
--
Phil Davis

PDS Labs
Professional Software Development