The "stinking truth".

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Dec 1 11:27:53 EST 2008

Mikey wrote:

> Thanks for proving the point, Richard.  That reaction was exactly what
> I was trying to illicit.  If someone acts defensive, the reaction is
> negative, i.e. harsh begets distance.

I apologize for any feather-ruffling; not my intention.  I think we just
have a simple misunderstanding here.

I wrote:

> Mikey wrote:
>
>> Tell them the stinking truth - the engine is open source with
>> commercial IDE/RAD toolkit built on top of it, and even that is open
>> source.
>
> ?
>
> The Rev engine is close-source, as it's been since MetaCard 1.0.
>

>> 5) Insulting C++ or M$ or Java is a Very Bad Idea
>
> "M$"
>
> :)

On the first item, I was merely expressing that I didn't understand your
point about the engine being "open source".  As far as I know that's not
"the stinking truth" but rather the opposite, so I must admit I don't
understand what you meant there.

On the second, I merely quoted your use of "M$", a common shorthand
pejorative for "Microsoft".  If we are to avoid dissing other
tools/vendors, it would seem helpful to avoid such pejoratives (though I
can appreciate how difficult they may be to resist in the case a company
with so many anti-trust convictions against them).

For the record, when discussing alternatives for development tools with
potential clients of course I'm somewhat less candid about my personal
opinions than I feel comfortable being here in this lion's den of Rev
converts.

But booked with long-term contracts, it's not often I have such
conversations anyway, and my current clients share pretty much the same
opinions.

When discussing tools in articles at my sites or in print, I generally
support your view that it's more productive to accentuate the positive.

I think we're in agreement here.  Sorry if it appeared otherwise.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal