How do you handle an engine update for your app?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Dec 1 10:02:21 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:

> But what do you do, if you want to exchange your splash stack it self?
> What are your approaches to organise this issue?

The current approach I use on Windows is to launch a VBScript and then
quit the main application. The VBScript waits for the application to
quit and then copies over the new install files (including the new
executable) and then launches the new exe.

On OS X you can update your entire application on disk while still
running so I just wrote a little command line program that the updater
calls right before quitting. The command line program just relaunches
the app after a few seconds. If I was better at shell scripts I would
write one that watched for the application to quit and then relaunch
but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

If you need code examples I can point you at the files to look at in
the GLX Application Framework.

Regards,

--
Trevor DeVore