OT: Discovering kdialog for shell script gui

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 03:32:27 EDT 2008

It may not happen often or to many, but if you ever have a Unix shell script
you need to give a quick graphical interface to, kdialog is a superb neat
package.  I had this need lately for some awk scripts, and looked briefly at
some of the others which include xdialog, zenity, getgui (far the lightest
but not real pretty).  Here is a basic page on kdialog with more examples
than you'll need:

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Shell_Scripting_with_KDE_Dialogs

Classic KDE stuff, detailed, thorough, more options than you can shake a stick
at.

Yes, you can invoke a script in Rev, and I have, but the KDE people have
integrated the shell itself with the gui, its not a bolt on.  You call dcop
directly.  For instance, a  progress bar on the progress of an OS task is a
native element you just call.

Well, not very experienced in these things, you all may tell me this is old
hat, but it seems really neat.

Peter