Print stack as PDF

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 29 07:28:45 EDT 2008

--- Klaus Major <klaus at major-k.de> wrote:
> Buongiorno Paolo,
>
> > Jan, Rob,
> > your messages have been very helpfull.
> > in MacOSX command "printerOutput" does a good job,
> printing a stack
> > in PDF
> > from revolution.
> > Still, I wuold like to find solution for the
> windows platform
> > without any
> > external software.
> > I wonder, if Quartam PDF Library, combined with
> command "import
> > shapshot",
> > can produce a PDF file  similar to the one you get
> from the "printer
> > output".
>
> Sure it does, I do it all the time! :-)
>
> I do this:
> 1. Export a Screenshot to a temporary file (the
> tempname & ".jpg" or
> whatever)
> 2. "Wrap" some PDF around it
> -> Use the library to create a simply PDF with only
> this image in it
> 3. Save this PDF to disk
> 4. No step 4!
>
> Done :-)
>
> > Thanks a lot.
> > Paolo
>
> Best
>
> Klaus Major

Hi Klaus and Paolo,

The 'export snapshot' trick will definitely work, but
has as downside that text in fields cannot be selected
and copied, and you'll see artifacts when you zoom in,
as graphics (especially roundrects, ovals, lines and
polygons) are also 'flattened' to pixels.

If you want to do it 'step-by-step', then you'll see
that converting graphics is pretty easy with the
built-in commands of the library, but you'll run into
limitations when it comes to text handling. Someday
all the pieces will be there - but today is not that
day I'm afraid.

Quartam PDF Library 1.1 will have a number of new
features that will bring us one step closer, but I'm
still finalizing the plans and research for features
that I haven't scripted yet. Once I have the exact
list and a beta, I'll drop a note on this list.

Cheers,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====