Changing text in formatted field

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Wed Aug 20 22:41:26 EDT 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 9:20 PM, Shari wrote:

> I'm more than willing to use actual HTML if need be, or create an
> RTF file and have Rev open it, read it, replace the text, and paste
> it into the card for printing.  I've just never done any of this so
> I'm kind of muddling.
>
> I wonder if I could create the template letter in Word, have Word
> turn it into HTML for me, and store the HTML file in a folder...
> have Rev open the file, read it, change it, and paste it into the
> field, then print?

Here's one way: Create your form letter with the text the way you want
it in one or more fields. For the parts that will have text inserted,
use merge markers [[ ]] (See Jan Schenkel's article in the latest
newsletter for details. Its VERY powerful—you can do ANYTHING!). Now,
copy the htmltext of the field(s) from the property inspector and stow
it away in a custom property. To set the text, with formatting AND
substitutions:

set the htmlText of fld "bodyText" to  merge(the uFormText of field
"bodyText")

Presto!

Tereza Snyder
Califex Software, Inc.