Mac icon specifications

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Aug 20 12:08:58 EDT 2008

Chris Sheffield wrote:
> I don't think that's necessary. At least, it never has been in the past.
> Specifying an icon to use in the Standalone Application Settings is
> supposed to apply that icon to the bundle. I'm pretty sure it's
> something in the way the icon is getting created in IconWorkshop that
> Rev doesn't like. So I just need someone (hopefully familiar with
> IconWorkshop) to tell me how to make it work. :-)

If you open the Mac icon file with Preview, are the images there? That
won't be a definitive test for the icon file's validity but if they are
blank in Preview it would tell you that the file format isn't right.

There is a free icon tool included with the Developer Tools on the OS X
installation CD. You need to install the Developer Tools to see it (it
isn't part of a normal installation.) I often use it, it is called "Icon
Composer", and it creates Mac icon files in the appropriate format.
There's a Photoshop plugin too that many swear by, but it isn't free and
I haven't ever tried it. Graphic Converter, a terrific Mac image editor,
also has a free version and it creates Mac icon files as well.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com