OT: Windows Vista security 'rendered useless' by researchers

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Thu Aug 14 15:41:27 EDT 2008

On Aug 11, 2008, at 9:14 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Thanks for posting this. Josh's story does appear to be a bit of a
> Chicken Little "the sky is falling" report.
>
> I use XP and not Vista, and according to your article, if I read it
> right, XP is even more vulnerable. And while I'm on multiple XP
> computers up to 8+ hrs most days-- I can't remember the last time I
> contracted a virus. So, I'll not worry.

The article was not so much targeted at brilliant programmers such as
yourself as to the other 99.9% of Windows users :-)

Viruses are rampant on Windows machines, probably a dozen people in my
family that own a Windows machine struggle with them almost constantly.

If this new exploit is indeed 'unfixable', this could actually be the
sky falling for IT firms who guarantee security for their clients.

Many on this list consult for corporations and organizations, and need
to be aware of news like this.