OT: Windows Vista security 'rendered useless' by researchers

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Aug 11 13:58:57 EDT 2008

Hmmm...

I think the gist of this story is that their methods are not like
previous low level methods which require a fairly sophisticated degree
of competency, and that they used a completely new vector. I also took
note that their methodology was not SPECIFICALLY vista based as it did
not take advantage of any specific Vista vulnerability, so the
possibility of using these methods on other platforms is at least
theoretically viable.

While my gut instinct is to ban Vista OS on my network until Microsoft
addresses this (if indeed they can) my ears are perked up for any
information on vulnerabilities that are developed for the Apple OS and
Linux as well.

The real bear here that I can see is the possibility of going to a
perfectly valid web site to do my banking let's say, and then having
content injected into my web browser unbeknownst to me that could
compromise my credentials. THAT would be pretty bad. If that is what
we are talking about, then this is far more profound than just another
newly discovered vulnerability.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management