Mac Newbee question to Mac paths

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon Apr 28 06:11:42 EDT 2008

Hi there,

As not having a Mac yet, I am still doubtful with the Mac path structure. I
am talking about the Mac OSX standalone:

A typical Mac path would look like this:
/Applications/MyApp.app/Contents/MacOS/Mainstack

Shouldn't it be: Hard Disc/Applications/MyApp.app/Contents/MacOS/Mainstack

Can you put your App on a Mac only in: /Applications/ or could you build any
folder structure as on windows to put your app also into:
/Applications/foo/foo/MyApp.app/Contents/MacOS/Mainstack?

The documentation tells me about the defaultfolder:  "this is the folder
containing that standalone. On OS X systems, the defaultFolder is set to the
folder that contains the application bundle"

The first part would tell me that the defaultfolder is:
/Applications/MyApp.app/Contents/MacOS/

The second part would tell me that the defaultfolder is: /Applications/

Or is the difference just, how it looks like physical (first part) and what
the user sees of it (second part)?

I think a need a little Mac coaching :-)

Thank you

Tiemo