way to listen to port 127.0.0.1

rgould8 at aol.com rgould8 at aol.com
Sat Apr 26 22:04:28 EDT 2008

 I started to go down the path of using the Rev 2.9 internal browser, but then I ran into an issue where all my full-screen web-pages with background images "flicker white" each time the page changes after the user touches a button.? If I display the same thing in Safari 3, I don't experience that problem at all.? This makes me think it's a Rev problem.? It even happens in the browser demo that comes with Rev.

So, as a backup plan, I was thinking of just using Safari along with a "full-screen" browser plugin called "SAFT", which pretty much gives me what I need, except for the ability to control printing to the level that I need - - - for that, I need Revolution - - - and I need to somehow get "triggers" sent from Safari back to Revolution.

Unless someone can fix the "browser window flashes white while browser between pages problem" - - - if that can be fixed, then I can do it all inside Revolution, which really is preferable.? This just needs to run on Mac Leopard.

127.0.01 isn't a port, it's an "IP Address" for the local machine. The port
for web page interaction would be 80 (or 88, 8008, or something else)
depending on how the machine and remote website are set up.

If it's true that you will be in a kiosk environment, you can force people
to go through the embedded web browser in Rev. This gives you the
opportunity to catch data the way you'd like. Check out the documentation
for browserBeforeNavigate and revBrowserGet commands. I don't know if those
will do what you want "out of the box" but you certainly can analyze the
HTML code (and therefore the JavaScript code) to look for specific
operations/urls you want to monitor and either simulate them or rewrite them
before display to users so they do what you want.

127.0.01 isn't a port, it's an "IP Address" for the local machine. The port
for web page interaction would be 80 (or 88, 8008, or something else)
depending on how the machine and remote website are set up.

If it's true that you will be in a kiosk environment, you can force people
to go through the embedded web browser in Rev. This gives you the
opportunity to catch data the way you'd like. Check out the documentation
for browserBeforeNavigate and revBrowserGet commands. I don't know if those
will do what you want "out of the box" but you certainly can analyze the
HTML code (and therefore the JavaScript code) to look for specific
operations/urls you want to monitor and either simulate them or rewrite them
before display to users so they do what you want.

>I have a need to write a little "listener app" that lurks in the
>background, waiting for the user to do something on a webpage in a browser,
>like Safari.  When a javascript routine on the web-page gets called, I need
>my Rev app to receive a few strings of text from the browser.
>
> The only way I can think to do that is to somehow pass data through port
> 127.0.0.1 and have Rev waiting patiently to receive that data.  I'm just
> not sure how to go about sniffing for data from that port.  Has anyone
> done that type of thing before that could share some code.
>
> Note that this is for a kiosk environment where I have full control over
> the hardware and software.  This is for a Mac.

preferences: