Identifying a USB camera

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Thu Apr 24 15:28:42 EDT 2008

Hi Richard,

Digital camera access from within Rev can get pretty confusing - one
camera works and another doesn't. When a camera presents itself to the
OS under the USB mass storage device class, Rev can see it as a mounted
volume. But when the camera presents itself under the USB still image
capture device class and uses Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) or some
derivative to move images to your computer, Rev can't see it, at least
not natively. That's my best guess anyway.

Sounds like an opportunity to write a Rev PTP library!  ;o)  If you do,
I'll gladly show it off in my "Working with USB" session at RunRevLive.

Some references:

USB mass storage device class:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_MSC

USB still image capture device class and PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol

Hope this helps -
Phil Davis