Cursors versus Tools ?

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 16:00:54 EDT 2008

I made a simple stack with a button and a field
"fKKK"; the button had this script:

on mouseEnter
  put the tool into fld "fKKK"
end mouseEnter

but I always end up with either "browse tool" or
"pointer tool", regardless which tool I select (such
as the SPRAY CAN tool) despite the following tools
being listed in the Documentation:

browse, pointer, button, field, scrollbar, graphic,
image, player, select, pencil, bucket, brush, eraser,
spray can, rectangle, line, round rect, oval, polygon,
curve, regular polygon, dropper

put the name of the cursor

gives me no joy at all

[HOWEVER; put the tool  works in the Message Box !]

When I select a paint tool the cursor changes to a
symbol (pencil, bucket, brush, eraser, spray can,
rectangle, line, round rect, oval, polygon, curve,
regular polygon, dropper) which is not amongst the
list of cursors.

So what are these (pencil, bucket, brush, eraser,
spray can, rectangle, line, round rect, oval, polygon,
curve, regular polygon, dropper) and how can I get my
stack to detect which one the end-user has chosen ?

The inevitable second button with the following
script:

on mouseEnter
  set the cursor to arrow
end mouseEnter

does nothing when I have chosen a paint tool.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.