Query about mod operator

Mick Collins mickclns at mac.com
Tue Apr 22 10:11:48 EDT 2008

Thanks Jim and Colin, especially the cautions about integer functions
used for non-integer  operations.  Turns out I snipped out (after
missing in my scan-over) the examples that would have proved your
points, namely:
0.25,   0,   0
0.5,   0,   0
0.75,   0.5,   0
These are the only exact divisors of 8 for which the mods come out
"correctly", that is,  as 0.
.25 decimal = .01 binary, exactly
.5 decimal = .1 binary, exactly
.75 decimal = .11 binary, exactly

That said, 4 things:
1) Other languages have an fmod for floating point, could Rev? (or
does it have one that is hidden?).
2) Because I don't know of an fmod, when I need to use such
functionality, I write my own function that bypasses the non-
integer / binary problems.
3) That usually involves converting to integer, using the built in
function, and converting  back.  I have never been unable to produce
a function this way that gives the correct values (except extreme
fringe-of-precision numbers).
4) A related joke that hard-core programmers probably know already:
Why do programmers have trouble distinguishing between Christmas and
Halloween?

Because 25 dec = 31 oct.

(for those not understanding, octal is base 8, and is a direct
conversion from  base 2, so used some in nitty gritty low level and
hardware programming (still used? I'm not sure, I don't). In octal,
"31" represents three 8s and one 1, 24+1= 25 in decimal. )

nerdy, nerdy, nerdy,
    -  Mick

On Apr 22, 2008, at 6:48 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:43:20 -0700
> From: Jim Ault <JimAultWins at yahoo.com>
>
> Mick,
>
>> It seems that    d   divides   8     if and only if  the mod is NOT
>> correct (until we get to 1, of course.  I got similar results using 7
>> instead of 8..  Seems like it should work, I think it's a bug.
>
> You need to use caution when working with fractions in computer
> operations.
> Binary means that math involving fractions in base 10 is not
> precise as you
> would normally think about it.  This has been covered on the list
> in the
> last couple months.
>
> I think that 'mod' would exhibit the same apparent irregularities
> that all
> other math functions do when dealing with fractions.
>
> If you want to be more accurate in this case:
>
> put 100 into mult
> put ((8 * mult) mod (div * mult))/ mult into theDiff
>
> but again, you need to be aware of the binary nature of computers
> expressing
> fractions when calculating theDiff.  All computer languages have
> the same
> limitation.  This is why floating point libraries are added to
> scientific
> processing to achieve accuracy for using decimal values.
>
> Hope this helps shed light on the subject.
>
> Jim Ault
> Las Vegas
>
> On 4/21/08 11:18 AM, "Mick Collins" <mickclns at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Interesting, I don't think it has to do with dividing by zero
>>
>> I ran this script:
>>
>> ON tst
>>     REPEAT WITH i = 1 to 100
>>        put i * .01 into iDiv
>>        put 8 mod iDiv into modiDiv
>>        put 8 div iDiv into intQuotient
>>        put 8 - (intQuotient * iDiv + modiDiv) into theDiff
>>        put iDiv & ",   " &  modiDiv & ",   " & theDiff into line i of
>> field 1
>>     END repeat
>> END tst
>>

>> The (partial) results are: