Vista, virtualization, and hairlessness

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 21 16:37:19 EDT 2008

I've been pulling my hair out over this, and even after searching the
list archives (many of which have mysteriously become less-convenient
gzip files :\) I still can't turn up the final word on how to solve this:

I have an app in which we allow customers to register it once so it can
be used on any client machine which has that volume mounted, such as a
school computer lab.

On OS X and XP, simply writing the reg data into the application folder
works great, provided of course the person doing the registration has
admin privileges, which for these scenarios is common.  So far so good.

But on Vista, the same program using the same code thinks its writing to
the program directory during registration, but it turns out that it
isn't, and subsequent users report that the program isn't registered.

I understand the basic concept of Vista's virtualization, but here's
what I don't understand:

Where do I write my reg file so all users can access it?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation