Getting things the wrong way round . . .

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sun Apr 20 15:03:37 EDT 2008

I've found two things to be true in this world of software:

1.  If you publicly post that you are working on a new version, sales
of the current version take a nosedive.  People hold off purchasing,
waiting for the new version.  When it comes out, you do not get all
the lost sales back.  (There's a name for this phenomenon... I do not
recall the name, but it was named after a company that actually went
out of business after announcing that a new version was in the works.
The company had been previously very successful.)

2.  One of my favorite authors is James Herriott, the country vet
from England who wrote All Creatures Great and Small and several
related works.  James Herriott wrote of both his successes and
failures as a country vet. Sometimes his patient would die. Other
times the recovery would be truly miraculous. He would often
encounter the farmers in the local pub or marketplace. And his
experiences with happy farmers and unhappy farmers is a familiar one.

If he treated a cow and the cow promptly died, the next time he saw
the farmer at the marketplace the farmer would be LOUDLY regaling the
story of the dead cow to everybody who would listen. And he would add
juicy details of his own flavour to the story as it got bigger and
bigger with each new listener. The cow was alive, James came to see
about him, the cow dropped dead.

But the farmer whose cow James literally pulled from the brink of
death, that farmer would inevitably be the quiet sort of man, who
spoke in barely a whisper. And he might share the story at the
marketplace, but with all the hustle and bustle, his whisper would be
lost in the crowd.

I can relate to this aspect of human nature. As a game developer,
I've seen it, too. The unhappy folks yell the loudest, while the
happy folks whisper in your ear.

--
   Humorous sports t-shirts
   http://www.villagetshirts.com